A car accident can be a confusing time. Right after an auto accident, you could be dazed, startled or have no idea or understanding of what just happened.

It can also be a terrifying time when potential consequences are suddenly in your face, and your first instinct may be to flee the situation. However, it is a crime to leave the scene of an accident in Central Texas without at least exchanging certain information.

What is likely to be a civil matter could quickly turn into a criminal one.

Georgetown Leaving the Accident Scene Lawyer

If you’ve been charged with fleeing the scene, you could wind up with jail time and fines. Georgetown traffic crime lawyers Michael J. Price can defend you against the charges.

Michael and Mark are experienced criminal defense lawyers who can fight for your rights. They will put their knowledge of the criminal justice system to work for you, seeking to get your hit and run charges reduced or dismissed. Call Price & Twine, PLLC today at (512) 354-1880 to discuss the fleeing the scene of accident charges against you.

Michael J. Price is based in Georgetown and represents clients throughout Williamson County and Bell County, including in Round Rock, Cedar Park, Taylor, Leander, Hutto, Temple, Killeen, Belton and Harker Heights.

Back to top

Requirements to Stop and Give Information in Texas

When a person gets in an auto accident, the Texas Transportation Code requires the parties involved to stop after an accident. They must stop as close to the scene of the accident as possible, and without obstructing more traffic than necessary. The law also requires drivers to give certain information. That information includes:

  • The driver’s name.
  • The driver’s address.
  • The name of the driver’s insurance company.
  • The registration number for the vehicle.

The driver must also show his or her driver’s license, if another driver requests it. If a person is injured in the accident, the driver or drivers must provide assistance, including transporting the person to a hospital or doctor.

If a driver hits a parked car or damages other property, that driver must stop and make a reasonable effort to identify the owner or leave a note with the driver’s name and address.

Back to top

Williamson County Charges for Leaving the Scene

People sometimes panic after an accident and drive off. They may be aware that they have no insurance, or that their insurance is lapsed or expired. They may have hit their head and be confused. They may be concerned about their immigration status. They may be intoxicated or have controlled substances in the car.

If you’ve been involved in any kind of hit and run, someone may have written down your license or taken a picture, and police could be looking for you right now. A Georgetown traffic lawyer can find out the status of your accident and determine what options and defenses might be available to you.

If an accident involved death or serious bodily injury or could even have reasonably been expected to cause such an injury, a person who is accusing of fleeing the scene might be charged with a felony of the third degree, punishable by one to 10 years in prison and a fine up to $10,000. If it involved any injury or could have been expected to have caused minor injuries, that person could face up to five years in jail and a $5,000.

If the accident was a fender bender or other accident involving any property damage under $200, it is a Class C misdemeanor, punishable by up to 30 days in jail and a fine up to $500. If the property damage is worth more than $200, it could be a Class B misdemeanor, punishable by up to 180 days in jail and a $2,000 fine.

Back to top

Price & Twine, PLLC | Round Rock Hit and Run Attorney

A serious traffic offense like fleeing the scene of an accident means Williamson County or Bell County prosecutors must prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt. Michael J. Price can defend you.

Contact Price & Twine, PLLC today at (512) 354-1880 to set up a free, confidential consultation that will let our Georgetown criminal defense lawyers review your case.