If you’re living your life with an arrest warrant in Central Texas, it means you’re driving around under constant threat of spending the next 24 hours or more in jail. You could be wanted for as big a crime as murder or something as small as forgetting to pay a ticket for driving one mile over the speed limit. If you roll through a stop sign or change lanes without a turn signal, you could wind up behind bars.

If there’s a warrant out for you, it won’t go away by itself. A warrant or failure to appear does not expire. You must act to take care of it, or, someday, you’re likely to get caught. A criminal defense lawyer can help you take care of your warrants, and, depending on your circumstances, you may never have to see the inside of a jail cell.

Georgetown Arrest Warrant Lawyer

If there’s a warrant out for your arrest, for failure to appear or because you’re a wanted suspect or fugitive, Georgetown warrant lawyer Michael J. Price can help you resolve your issue and move on with your life.

Price & Twine, PLLC knows the criminal justice systems in Williamson County and Bell County inside and out. Michael J. Price will do his best to help you put your warrant aside and can also represent you on any underlying criminal charges the warrant may have stemmed from.

If there’s a warrant out for you, or you think there might be one, call Price & Twine, PLLC today at (512) 354-1880. Michael J. Price serves clients with warrants out in Williamson and Bell Counties, including in the cities of Georgetown, Round Rock, Leander, Cedar Park, Taylor, Hutto, Killeen, Temple, Belton and Harker Heights.

Texas Warrant Information Center

Back to top

Warrants Issued in Central Texas

A warrant is a court order, signed by a judge, to arrest a person.  If you are indicted by a grand jury, the judge may sign a warrant for your arrest. The police may come to your home or business to find and arrest you. They may take you out in handcuffs in front of your friends or coworkers. However, most of the time, when an indictment is issued, the judge will simply send a summons, commanding you to be in court at a certain time.

Most warrants that are put out on Central Texans are not for felony indictments. They are bench warrants, sometimes called a “failure to appear” (FTA). When you are issued a citation for speeding or other traffic infractions, the citation will have a date and time listed. You are legally required to appear in court on that date and that time.

However, people frequently miss the court date. They don’t have the money to pay the ticket and they don’t have a defense prepared. Or, they can’t get off work or have another emergency and don’t reschedule. Or, they simply forget.

When a person does not appear or otherwise resolve their citation, the judge issues a bench warrant. A judge may also issue a bench warrant if you are summoned to appear in court on any criminal matter and do not show up. The bench warrant is a command for police to arrest you wherever they find you.

Most often, that is when you are pulled over for a traffic stop. The police will check your name against a statewide database. If your name and information appears in the database, they will take you into custody, and you will be stuck in jail until you can be processed and pay a bond.

There are also search warrants. Search warrants give police permission to search an area of your property for which you normally have the right to privacy. It is not a warrant to arrest you, but if there is a search warrant issued for property, there’s a reasonable chance you are under criminal investigation.

You don’t have to wait to be arrested to hire a Georgetown criminal defense lawyer. If you’re a suspect, the sooner you have legal counsel, the better.

Back to top

Consequences of Warrants in Williamson County

The most obvious consequence of an active warrant is that you must live your life under constant threat of arrest. Even perfect drivers could get in an accident due to someone else’s mistake. When police come to investigate the accident, they may run your license and come up with the warrant. When they see you have a warrant, they will take you into custody — there’s no talking them out of it. So, if you think or know you have a warrant out, and say “I guess I’ll just drive very carefully,” think again. You could still wind up behind bars.

A criminal defense attorney can file a motion to set aside the warrant, quashing it and allowing you to deal with the underlying criminal matter. You may not have to spend the night in jail or even pay the bond on the warrant. If you are unsure of whether you have a warrant, a lawyer can check for you without requiring you have to set foot in the sheriff’s office, risking arrest.

Back to top

Georgetown Area Warrant Resources

Williamson County Sheriff’s Page: This page is maintained by the Williamson County Sheriff’s Office and contains information about warrants in Williamson County.

Bell County Warrants Page: Maintained by the Bell County Sheriff’s Office, this page contains information about Bell County warrants.

Back to top

Price & Twine, PLLC | Round Rock Failure to Appear Attorney

If there’s a warrant or a failure to appear (FTA) out for you, stop living in fear. Let Georgetown criminal defense lawyer Michael J. Price help you.

Call Price & Twine, PLLC today at (512) 354-1880 for a free, confidential consultation.